Tuesday, February 3, 2015

CONVERGENCE

To go with the latest painting done for my project #70Paintings70Years -- One Woman Paints Her Life, I found an autobiographical piece I wrote while messing with words in a group of wonderful writer friends in Bellingham. I added a few words and here it is.

“Please, God,” she said as a child. “Don’t let me grow up to lead a boring life.”

In winter she looked out the window at the snow and wrote a poem that started with “the wood violets sweet. . .” and went on to win a contest so at the age of eight she became a “published writer,” no matter it was only in the Priest River Times. Encouraged, she wrote more often and climbed higher trees to look out beyond the valley of the creek where she lived, over the fences and cows to the river that led to the ocean where she would go someday. After she climbed down out of the trees to graduate from high school, she left the valley to search for big vistas that led elsewhere, always elsewhere.


When she finally found the ocean she’d always longed for, the water was so very cold, and she got lost. She longed for trees and land and for creeks you could jump across. How could she get it right? How could she discover where she belonged? Then she met a new friend and moved to a small desert town, where she found a convergence of air and scenery and endless big vistas to explore. Life is definitely not boring in the desert, and this is home, for now.

The making of CONVERVENCE 

Ready to paint - but first decide a color scheme.

One would expect the sky to be blue and the ground in the
desert to be orangish. But since I have neither a "brand"
nor a reputation as an artist, I am totally free to experiment.

CONVERGENCE, 9" x 12", Acrylic on Wood Panel

2 comments:

  1. Love this convergence with a story! I can feel you in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. How lovely that you actually arrived at my new blog! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete